Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Six Years and No Issuess...you see what happens when a chick comes into the league!"

The conversation regarding my fantasy football team getting kicked out of the guys' league and the unpaid debt of my co-owner (http://blondedevils.blogspot.com/2008/10/boys-will-be-boys.html) took an interesting turn today as the entire league became involved. First, I must admit that as frustrated as I was, I laughed my ass off the entire day reading the emails, including the insults hurled at me by Ass, which were quite funny at times. But, after approximately 50 emails back and forth, we received the following email from Pete Stasiewicz, which brings to light how the upcoming election could potentially impact our life and fantasy teams as we know them:

Although it is obvious from the statement above, please note that the following was written by Pete...
This is getting out of hand so I called McCain and BO for their input.

McCain had this to say:

Well, let -- let me say, Pete, thank you. And thanks to CBS Sportsline. And, by the way, our beloved Pacman is on suspension tonight, so our thoughts and prayers are going with you.

Fantasy football owners are hurting right now, and they're angry. They're hurting, and they're angry. They're innocent victims of greed and excess in the baseball league and as well as the football league. And they're angry, and they have every reason to be angry.

And they want this league to go in a new direction.

But we also have to have a short-term fix, in my view, and long- term fixes. Let me just talk to you about one of the short-term fixes.

The catalyst for this fantasy crisis was the baseball league that caused subprime dues-collection situation that now caused the confidence in this league to collapse.

I am convinced that, until we reverse this continued decline in dues payment and put....

...a floor under it, and so that people have not only the hope and belief they can stay in their leagues and realize the American dream of sneaking into the playoffs through the total-points slot, but that they also manage to win against teams selected by robots.

Now, we have allocated $3,220. Let's take $300 of that $3,220 and go in and buy Browning's debt and negotiate with Browning so he can pay that loan, stay in their league.

Now, I know the criticism of this.

'Well, what about the owner that stayed in their league? That paid their dues payments?' It doesn't help that person in their league if the next door neighbor's team is abandoned. And so we've got to reverse this. We ought to put the teamowners first. And I am disappointed that Secretary Mauro and others have not made that their first priority.

******************************

Obama responded:

Well, first of all, I think it's important for the league membership to understand that the $300 rescue package, if it's structured properly, and, as president, I will make sure it's structured properly, means that ultimately team owners get their money back, and that's important to understand.

But there is no doubt that we've been living beyond our means and we're going to have to make some adjustments.

And some of the cuts, just to give you an example, we spend $300 a year on subsidies to Browning. It doesn't help Holzer fill his gaping bye week hole. It's not improving the Detroit Lions offense. It's just a giveaway.

So, look, nobody likes dues. I would prefer that none of us had to pay dues, including myself. But ultimately, we've got to pay for the core investments that make this league strong and somebody's got to do it.
I hope everyone understands why your vote is so important. Our next president might just impact the way we, as a nation, view fantasy football disagreements.

No comments: