Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ravens v. Steelers...I can't decide which I hate more?

This game is painful for me to watch given the fact I dislike both teams immensely and now for the third time this year I've now been forced to root for the Browns' mortal enemy, the Terrible Towels.

Luckily, I didn't find either team too impressive today, at least on offense (which is to be expected with these teams). The exception to that and also the only player I don't hate on the Ravens (due to reparations owed on behalf of the state of Ohio for the Buckeyes' taking him out on Jan 3, 2003), is Willis McGahee. On Baltimore's first touchdown drive, McGahee literally saved Flacco from being sacked with a HUGE block (although the broadcasters weren't initially watching the game, luckily their producer must have shown them a replay so they figured out that Flacco didn't just shake off the blitz), which allowed a pass to be thrown and pass-interference to be called and on the next play, a touchdown to be scored (I'm grossly over-using the passive voice and I don't care).

Next is my favorite quote of the first half. Phil Simms: "The Ravens got this game exactly where they want it." Really, Phill? They're down by six. EXACTLY where they want it? This is an irritation I have inherited from watching football with my father.

My next point of irritation was on Matt Stover's extra point following McGahee's second touchdown. Jim Nance felt compelled to point out that he scored the last point ever for the "old Cleveland Browns," which reminded me again of why I don't like the Ravens.

Back to McGahee...now that the Steelers have taken him out, they are the ones that need to make amends. But for now, I guess they'll be focusing on the Super Bowl. I can't believe they're going AGAIN.

And as much as I hate to give this honor to anyone associated with the Ravens, John Harbaugh is in contention for the hottest NFL coach award.

No comments: