Saturday, November 8, 2008

What we learned from Week 11 of College Football...not much, but a few observations...

Terrelle Pryor was the number one recruit in the country for a reason. As my college football co-researcher Brett pointed out, Pryor glides across the filed while other guys just run. Watching him against Northwestern today, I was impressed by the way he was able to pass down-field and find an open man in situations where many quarterbacks would have thrown the ball away. Beanie Wells looked strong and contributed another 140 yards and two touchdowns. You can tell he's not 100% since the injury he suffered against Youngstown State, but yet he has had 100 yards (or almost 100 yards) in every game this year that he has played in except against Penn State. The Nittany Lions, of course, have the best rushing defense in the Big Ten.

Why do I watch football (this question is slowly becoming my theme)? Because at least they pretend to be real men out there. These guys may not be the Spartans, but the things you see them do in "battle" at least spark up more excitement than what you see on shows like "Two and a Half Men" or "King of Queens." These shows depict men as idiots. My favorite part of the former is that most of the witty lines appear to come from the half-man. Now these observations come exclusively from previews because I can't bring myself to watch the show so if someone else feels differently let me know. But, in general, sitcom Television is saturated with sarcastic, rude statements on society (note, I did not say conversations because they are monologging, not conversing). And while I can appreciate the idea of these shows, my view of society is not as horrid and most men I know are not just complete assholes. Please note, that if you are someone I know and are reading this, do not assume that you fit into the "most men I know" category.

The only show that I can watch that fits this mold is Family Guy. However, what I like about Family Guy is that it is mocking these shows, their characters and their original sources of inspiration and takes the man of the house's idiocies to an extreme to prove that point.

As far as idiocies are concerned, surprisingly Matthew Stafford did not supply any this weekend. Stafford, better known for his interceptions, poor decision making and generally unimpressive performances (at least in my eyes), actually had a pretty great game on Saturday against Kentucky. By far the best game of his career with 376 yards passing, 3 TDs and don't faint, but no interceptions. While Kentucky's defense doesn't shine in the SEC, they don't look too bad overall.

No comments: